Join the Veteran Oral Health Action Collaborative
The Connection Between Veteran Mental Health and Oral Health | December 7, 2023 | 1 pm CT
The collaborative features innovative presentations and hands-on applied learning in partnership with CareQuest Institute for Oral Health. Monthly session began in June '23 and feature interprofessional presenters,build on concepts of care integration and value-based designs, and advance solutions to veteran oral health issues. We welcome clinical professionals, and community representatives and advocates who want to find solutions that support optimal veteran oral health.
Participants will experience interactive, applied learning opportunities as sessions feature interprofessional presenters, build on concepts of care integration and value-based designs, and advance initiatives addressing veteran oral health issues.
The Connection Between Veteran Mental Health and Oral Health
Sixty percent of veterans with serious mental health conditions also have fair to poor oral health, and about 33% find it difficult to eat because of these issues. Such poor oral health can affect self-esteem, employment opportunities, heart and endocrine health, and overall systemic health.This VOHAC session will examine the ways the mind and mouth are interconnected and how an integrated and coordinated care approach is needed to optimize veteran well-being. During the interactive learning portion, participants will work in small groups to explore and discuss a case study focused on barriers to oral health facing veterans with a serious mental health condition.
Certificate in Integrated Care Approaches to Veteran Oral Health
The certificate program is self-guided. After attending a VOHAC session or viewing the recording, participants can choose to take a competency assessment. Assessments are five questions and must be completed with 100% accuracy to be eligible for certificate consideration. You may retake each quiz until you achieve that score. Upon completion of six competency evaluations, email us to request your certificate.
Prior Session Resources:
- June 8: VOHAC Launch | View the recording | Download the slides | Take the competency quiz
- June 29: Veterans and Chronic Disease | View the recording | Download the slides | Take the competency quiz
- July 27: Public-Private Referrals for Veteran Oral Health in the Community Care Network | View the recording | Download the slides | Take the competency quiz
- August 31: Practice-Based Opportunities for Data Collection | View the recording | Download the Slides | Take the competency quiz
- September 28: The Role of Data in Advancing Integrated, Value-Based Care in Oral Health | View the recording | Download the slides | Take the competency quiz
- October 30 at 1pm CT: Tools for Advocacy and Decision-Making in Veteran Oral Health | View the recording | Download the slides | Take the competency quiz
- December 7 at 11am CT: The Connection Between Veteran Mental Health and Oral Health | Take the competency quiz
Register for Upcoming Sessions:
Title: Launching a MORE Care Framework for Veteran Oral Health
This kick-off session for the 2023 Veteran Oral Health Action Collaborative (VOHAC) will lay the groundwork for the six-month program. Presenters will describe the systemic relationship between oral health and overall health and how it can be supported through a framework that uses the five components of the interprofessional oral health network:
- Shared responsibility of oral-systemic health
- Establishment of a referral network
- Transitioning care models
- Environment of improvement
- Health Information Technology (HIT)
Participants will be invited to discuss the potential benefits and challenges of offering integrated, value-based care for veterans in their own practices and communities. VOHAC, offered by CareQuest Institute for Oral Health and the American Institute of Dental Public Health, is designed for clinical professionals,,community representatives, and advocates who want to find solutions that support optimal veteran oral health.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Define the MORE Care framework and overarching opportunities to apply it within veteran oral health.
- Evaluate how veteran oral health care delivery can be improved or expanded within a value-based and integrated setting.
- Review content, topics, and activities for future sessions of the learning collaborative.
The American Institute of Dental Public Health is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. The ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to the ADA CERP at www.ADA.org/CERP.