What is the AIDPH Dental Public Health Leadership Academy?
Formal leadership training, through a structured programmatic setting, is both desired and needed within the dental public health workforce. Little programming currently exists to meet this need, uniquely positioning the AIDPH Dental Public Health Leadership Academy to support the oral health community. The ability to assess and address community oral health is just as important as addressing individual oral health: the two are mutually defining and inseparable. Yet, formal leadership development programs and succession planning are largely absent for dental public health professionals. We must encourage and equip a new generation of clinicians with the training and support they need. To not accept the status quo. To innovate. To inspire. To lead.
The application deadline has been extended to June 7th, 2022 by 5:00 pm PDT. Apply ASAP!
The DPHLA will run for a period of 12 months, with the following offerings:
- Monthly, two-hour calls for the full cohort. Each call will focus on a single leadership development or public health/policy, building on learnings of previous calls as the program goes on. DPHLA faculty will finalize call topics based on the specific needs and interests of the participants, as identified in the program application. Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding your personal leadership style
- Dental public health and Medicaid policy
- Communicating effectively as a leader
- Team dynamics
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Being an effective policy advocate
- Collaborative decision-making
- Adaptive leadership
- Planning your career trajectory
Each monthly call will feature subject-matter expert faculty and will incorporate a mix of didactic, experiential, and peer-to-peer learning.
- Interim learning and application. Participants will receive pre-readings/videos and brief assignments in between calls to build the foundation for efficient and effective learning on each call, and to prompt the application of learnings following each call. DPHLA faculty will design interim assignments to take no more than two to four hours per month.
- Networking opportunities with national leaders and experts. Networking activities are planned throughout the program as an additional benefit to the monthly learning sessions. National leaders from the AIDPH Corporate Leadership Council, the AIDPH Board of Directors, and other nationally renowned organizations will join participants for optional (but highly encouraged!) virtual networking events with additional opportunities to connect during the AIDPH Colloquium.
- Support for an organizational transformation project. Deep and sustainable learning is more likely to take place when immediate opportunities for application are present. To that end, DPHLA faculty will support participants to apply the key competencies of dental public health leadership that they gain through this program to a project that addresses a key challenge in their organization or community. The expectation is that each participant will plan for and, where possible, implement this project during the 12-month program.
DPHLA faculty will designate time on the monthly full-cohort calls to support participants in their project planning and implementation. They will also be available to participants in between monthly calls to provide technical assistance as needed.
Want to stay updated on the Dental Public Health Leadership Academy?
Sign up for our listserv today so you don't miss registration.