Many states have shifted resources toward exploring teledentistry options as offices postpone dental procedures in response to COVID-19. Despite this ongoing health crisis, the oral health workforce remains responsive to the needs of their patients and teledentistry remains a model that could facilitate improved access to care.
Each state regulates the scope of practice for dental clinicians so it’s important to check with your state licensure board and dental association to understand the specific guidance you may need to seek. The National Network for Oral Health Access (NNOHA) has put together a state-by-state guide for oral health professionals that may be helpful as you consider your role in telehealth.
Here are some resources that we’ve found with more information on teledentistry:
- DentaQuest Partnership Communication Brief: Teledentistry During the COVID-19 Crisis
- DentaQuest Partnership White Paper: Fast Track Teledentistry, Removing Barriers to Care While Maximizing Overall Health
- The teledentistry toolkit from NNOHA includes resources and research to help oral health professionals expand services using teledentistry models.
- Free DentaQuest Webinars:
- Infection Control and Preventive Care During a National Health Care Crisis(April 1, 1:00 PM EST): This webinar will provide an overview of important safety practices to use during the outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Teledentistry: Providing Alternative Care During a Public Health Crisis (April 6, 1:00 PM EST): This webinar will explore the ability to use Teledentistry to address limited access to care during a public health crisis, and discuss policy issues and solutions.
- COVID-19 resource list curated by Families USA and the Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN).
- Patient Assessment via Synchronous Teledentistry: Clinical Techniques Overview with Dr. Scott Howell. Wednesday, April 1st 2020 – 12:00 PM (MST). During this presentation, Dr. Scott Howell will provide a clinical overview for best practices for teledentistry oral evaluations, including with pediatric patients.Webinar includes:
- Tips for the patient to set up their computer or phone
- How to Help the patient get comfortable with movements
- Patient instruction for preparing for exam, including infection control steps
- Assessment questions to ask
- Step by step images and instructions that can be shared with patient to help them display properly for evaluation
We’ll keep you updated on our resource round ups!
Post authored by:
Annaliese Cothron | Executive Director
The American Institute of Dental Public Health