Background This document is intended for health ministers, health system administrators, and other decision-makers. It is meant to guide the care of COVID-19 patients as the response capacity of health systems is challenged; to ensure that COVID-19 patients can access life-saving treatment, without compromising public health objectives and safety of health workers. It promotes two key messages:
1. Key public health interventions regardless of transmission scenario; and
2. Key action steps to be taken by transmission scenario to enable timely surge of clinical operations.
The public health objectives at all stages of the preparedness and response plan are to:
• Prevent outbreaks, delay spread, slow and stop transmission.
• Provide optimized care for all patients, especially the seriously ill.
• Minimize the impact of the epidemic on health systems, social services, and economic activity.