Registration for the 2019 experience is now closed.
The Federal Service Internship (FSI), is a one-week service-learning experience that will provide advanced dental education students and residents with the opportunity to visit federal agencies in the Washington DC area. Participants will engage with leaders to learn the roles and operations of each federal agency. Site visits include the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), National Institutes of Health/National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIH/NIDCR), Indian Health Service (IHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This internship offers information about dental research and data analysis, policy development, and how federal policies impact access to dental services.
October 15th-18th, 2019 in Rockville, MD
Participating Federal Agencies include:
- Health Resources and Services Administration(HRSA)
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Centers for Disease Control of Prevention (CDC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Indian Health Service (IHS)
New to the 2019 experience: Participants will spend a day in Washington, DC engaging with legislators and seeing the sights of the city!
Participants Will Learn
- Oral health research and data analysis
- How federal policy impacts access to dental services
- The public health system in the United States
- Roles to fulfill in the future of dental public health